Excerpt from: NCD.gov (click for full article)
Over the course of the year, NCD made good on its mission to promote the goals of the ADA – equality of opportunity, economic self-sufficiency, independent living, and full participation – through release of several important policy reports that call for:
- The phase out of the subminimum wages program for people with disabilities within the Fair Labor Standards Act;
- Better integration of systems and statutes within and beyond the scope of the Developmental Disabilities Assistance and Bill of Rights Act;
- Redirection of funds from large, state-run institutions to less-restrictive environments in the community;
- Involvement of stakeholders, including people with disabilities, at the state level in the design and review of the performance of managed care programs; and
- State and/or federal legislation to address and correct pervasive discrimination in the child welfare system that allows courts to determine a parent is unfit to parent solely on the basis of a parent’s disability.